Did I mention that I am Italian and wish that I could have pasta for every meal? While most of my meals are gluten and dairy-free, on the weekends there is nothing better than a homemade Italian dinner! This is my recipe for a flavorful and comforting meat sauce to put on your favorite pasta. I used ground chicken for the meat but you may use whatever ground meat you prefer. Packed with vegetables and crushed tomatoes, this is the perfect sauce for those nights you want a more filling sauce. If you’re feeling adventurous, skip the boxed pasta and make your own pasta at home! Click here to get my super easy pasta recipe (pasta machine not necessary!).
- 1 LB Ground Chicken
- 4 Oz. Diced Pancetta
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 Medium Carrot, Diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 28 Oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 6 Oz. Tomato Paste
- 1.5 Cups Dry White Wine
- 1.5 Cups Whole Milk
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped basil
- Parmesan Cheese for serving
- Mise en place! French culinary term for setting up all of your ingredients so they are ready to be cooked. Chop veggies, pour liquids, place spices/ meat, open cans and place all on the counter.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, carrot, and celery and season with salt for about 5 minutes or until they soften. Stir in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and place them to the side in a bowl.
- Cook pancetta in the same pot for about 5-6 minutes until it is browned.
- Add the ground chicken to pancetta and cook until it is browned. Add in tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked vegetables and white wine, stirring until most of the wine is absorbed.
- Add crushed tomatoes and milk, add more salt and pepper.
- Let the sauce simmer on low in a covered pot for at least 3 hours, the longer the better. Place sauce in a large bowl and top with chopped basil. Serve over pasta with parmesan cheese and enjoy!