I remember when I first tried a curry dish just a few years ago. My brother Chris was visiting from New Jersey, and we ordered from our favorite Thai place. He ordered green curry and I was very intrigued as I have never had it before. I tried it and LOVED it! I can’t believe it took me that long to try it. Tonight we almost ordered in but when I looked in our pantry, I realized we had enough ingredients to make a curry dish. So I whipped up this coconut curry with chicken and it was so good! Sweet and tangy, and loaded with flavorful spices, this is the perfect meal for when you are craving take out but want to keep it healthy. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups of Brown Rice
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 3 Peppers, Chopped
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Lime, Sliced for serving
- Garam Masala, 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric, 2 tablespoons
- Garlic Powder, 2 tablespoons
- Ginger, 2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon
- Chili Powder, 2 tablespoons
- Onion Flakes, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 2 tablespoons
- Pepper, 2 tablespoons
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pot with a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add 1 cup of jasmine rice. Let cook for 3 minutes, then lower heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Place 2 chicken breasts in the pan to sear it, and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder on each side. When each side is seared, remove from heat and put aside. The insides will not be cooked through- this is okay because it will finish in the sauce.
- Lower the pan to medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add peppers, onions and minced garlic in the pan that the chicken was in until the vegetables are softened.
- Add in coconut milk and all spices, lower the heat so it is simmering for about 3 minutes.
- Cut chicken breast into small pieces and add to sauce.
- Let it cook for another 10 minutes to ensure the flavors are absorbed and the chicken finishes cooking.
- Serve over a bowl of the jasmine rice with a wedge of lime on the side, and enjoy!