I found myself craving some homemade pizza one day, but didn’t want the dairy that came along with it. I was extremely nervous to make this homemade non-dairy cheese and even had backup cheese just in case! It came out perfect so I urge those who are trying to cut out dairy from their diets to give this a try. I put it on pizza but this would also be great with pasta, grilled cheeses, etc.
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 1/3 Cup of Water
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Tablespoon Tapioca Starch
1. Soak cashews in hot water for 25 minutes. I boil 2 cups of water in a teapot then use this water to soak the cashews.
2. Drain cashews.
3. Combine cashews in a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Mixture will be watery!
4. Put mixture in to a small sauce pan and cook on medium heat continuously stirring until mixture becomes a cheese consistency. Should take about 5-7 minutes roughly.
5. Remove from heat and serve!
To make my vegan pizza: I put the cheese on top of a homemade pizza crust (you can always use frozen- just follow package directions!) with caramelized onions and chopped mushrooms.
*To caramelize onions: I chopped a yellow onion, and combined the onion with 3 cloves of chopped garlic in a pan on medium heat for about an hour in plenty of olive oil. You want the mixture to be coated in olive oil because you want them to be soft by the time its done and not crispy. I added an 8 Oz. Package of chopped mushrooms at the end to cook for about 10 minutes with the onions and then added this mixture to the top of the pizza (make sure you put olive oil directly on the crust before you add toppings if you are not using tomato sauce) I then spooned the mozzarella on top of the vegetable mixture, and lastly added Italian seasoning to the top. I baked my pizza for about 20 minutes. The cheese was nice and browned at then end. It was a HUGE hit in my house!