So I was trying to think of something warm and creamy for dinner but of course on the healthy side. I found a few recipes for Butternut Squash Risotto and decided, YES- I am going to grab the bull by its horns and make the damn Risotto! After stirring the ingredients for about 35 minutes, it came out PERFECT and even Sean was shocked how good it came out. Although it was a bit labor-intensive, it was SO worth it. Dare I say it might be the best dinner I ever made?! Below is the recipe and trust me, this is a 5-star meal.
- 5 cups reduced-sodium GF chicken broth (or vegetable if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, sliced thinly
- 3 cups chopped and peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushroom caps, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place broth in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat so the broth is steaming but is not simmering.
- Next heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, cook for 1 minute. Add in squash and mushrooms, stir for about 5 minutes until mushrooms give off their liquid. Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Add rice; stir until translucent for about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the broth, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue until the rice is tender and creamy, it takes about 30-40 minutes total.
- When done, remove from heat. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and enjoy!