I really wanted to make Alfredo Sauce but of course wanted to make a healthier version of it. I found a few different recipes and made my own out of what I found. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and FULL of flavor! This sauce is not as thick as regular Alfredo sauce, but it is light and so tasty! The best part of this sauce is that you don’t feel guilty after having this. I made spaghetti squash as a healthy replacement for pasta. It is so easy to make and you can add any of your favorite sauces to it.
When I made this, I put shrimp on top so if you follow a vegan diet, just leave out the fish! This recipe serves 2 people. Extra sauce can be frozen to use at a later date, you know, for when you’re craving this again…
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare the Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut both spaghetti squash open, lengthwise, and scoop out seeds.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the squash.
- Place face down on a sheet pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Stick a fork in them to check that it’s done, it should be soft.
- Once done, using a fork or tongs, scoop out the strands into a bowl.
To Prepare the Alfredo Sauce:
- Soak the raw cashews in hot water for 10 minutes. I boil 2 cups of water in a teapot to speed this up and then pour the water over the cashews. Saute the onion, broccoli and garlic in a pan for about 5 minutes.
Drain the cashews. Add the cashews, sauteed mixture from pan, almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast plus the salt and pepper to a blender and blend until it’s smooth.
- Once done, I combine the spaghetti squash and about half of the sauce together in a pot or large pan for about 3 minutes to heat up the sauce. Save the rest to add or freeze.
- Serve and enjoy!
**NOTE: Leave out shrimp to make it vegan**