After I graduated from college, I lived with my mom until I moved to Florida. When my mom and I weren’t eating roasted chicken or having dinner at our favorite diner, we were eating lentil soup. I love lentil soup because it is hearty and full of vegetables! I make this lentil soup in our Instant Pot and it so easy and fast to prepare (see bottom of page for directions on how to make this in a regular pot!). This recipe makes enough for 8 servings so more than enough for a whole family and/OR lunches to bring to work! Just pop it in your fridge or freeze for a later date.
- 3 Carrots, chopped.
- 4 Stalks of Celery, chopped.
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced.
- 3 Cups Green Lentils
- 1.5 Large Onion, chopped.
- 28 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 8 cups (2 containers usually) Chicken or Vegetable broth, low-sodium GF
- 6 Cups Baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- Parmesan Cheese for topping (OPTIONAL!)
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, lentils, onion and tomatoes to Instant Pot.
- Add in Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Thyme and Garlic Powder.
- Add in Broth, stir to combine.
- Set Instant Pot to PRESSURE COOK, set for 35 minutes on HIGH and let it cook. When it is done, set valve to quick release.
- Once it is safe to open, stir in spinach until it wilts.
- Taste and add in more spices if desire.
- Serve in soup bowls, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
**You can definitely make this in a regular pot if you don’t have the Instant Pot. You would just need to cook the ingredients in steps 1-3 in a large pot, bring to a boil and once it is boiling turn down the heat so it simmers for approximately 1.5 hours, or until lentils are fully cooked.**