Who doesn’t love a good classic bagel for breakfast? I grew up on bagels (again, I’m from New York, it’s in my blood!). I really wanted to make a healthy bagel so I combined a few recipes I’ve used in the past to make this recipe, and it is definitely a winner. They have a nice crunch on the outside, soft on the inside and when you smear that cream cheese on…. Nothin’ better! Also, these bagels are husband tested and approved 😉
Servings: 4 Bagels
Ingredients for Bagels:
- Avocado Oil
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (Got it from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup GF Flour
- 1.5 Cups Tapioca Flour/ Starch
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Yogurt (Unsweetened)
Ingredients for Chive Cream Cheese:
- 1/4 Cup Non-Dairy Yogurt (Unsweetened)
- 1.5 Cups Raw Cashews, Soaked
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chives, chopped.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a pot or tea kettle. Put cashews in a mixing bowl, pour the hot water into the bowl and let cashews soak for 30-40 minutes. The longer they soak, the creamier the cream cheese will turn out.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, gluten free flour, tapioca flour and baking powder. Mix well to combine.
- Add yogurt, mix to combine.
- If the dough is too wet, add more GF flour. Knead until it forms a dough.
- Take 1/4 of the dough and form in to a ball, place on baking sheet then poke hole in middle and form the bagel shape. Do this for the remaining dough sections.
- Rub avocado oil on the tops of the bagels.
- Sprinkle Everything But The Bagel Seasoning on the bagels, and press the seasoning in gently so it sticks to the bagels.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the edges look slightly brown.
- Take out and let cool while you finish the cream cheese (if you are not continuing on with this recipe to make the cream cheese, then let cool for about 5 minutes before you serve them)
- Drain the cashews, and put them in a food processor.
- Add the avocado oil, yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and onion powder to the food processor. Scrape down sides as you blend to combine.
- Once done, fold in chopped chives. Taste and add more salt & onion powder if desired.
- Serve cream cheese with the bagels, and don’t forget…. Enjoy!