I have made this dish a few times and it is always a winner! It is simple to make, and the lemon flavor really adds a refreshing taste to this comforting dish. We LOVE italian food but sometimes are craving a dish without a tomato sauce base. This is a great dish to switch up your italian meals! I did not use capers when I made this, but definitely feel free to add some if you wish as capers traditionally goes on chicken piccata.
- 1 Package of Brown Rice Pasta (I use Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Pasta Fusilli)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (slice each in half, OR buy 4 thin sliced breasts)
- 2 Lemons, juice one and slice the other thinly.
- 1 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Tapioca Flour
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, sliced.
- 1 Cup GF Chicken Broth
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced.
- Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Capers (Optional)
- Cook brown rice pasta per package directions.
- Slice chicken breasts in half to make cutlets (if you buy thin sliced chicken breast, skip this step)
- In a shallow bowl, combine tapioca flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan with 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in flour mixture coating both sides. Shake off excess in bowl.
- Cook each piece of chicken in the pan for about 4 minutes each side. You just want the outside to be golden brown, adjust the heat as needed to avoid burning. Remove when done and set aside.
- Lower the heat on the pan and add another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add sliced onions and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add minced garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Add broth and lemon juice. Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of tapioca flour to thicken the mixture slightly, stir to combine.
- If using capers, add in to the pan.
- Place chicken back in the skillet.
- Cover the chicken with the sauce then top the chicken with sliced lemons.
- Lower heat to bring it to a simmer, cover pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve chicken on top of the cooked brown rice pasta, and enjoy!